Friday, June 23, 2017

Angry and Obnoxious

There are two professions I could never embrace: a politician or a boxer. Politicians lie and say horrible things about one another while a boxer's objective is to render another human unconscious. In each arena, we note the ability of both combatants to hug in the aftermath of contesting...not my cup of tea. I suppose I'm not that forgiving. I would want to 'punch' the opposing politician and I certainly would not be hugging someone who'd been 'punching' me. Suffice to say, my attitude about competition is 'Respect All; Fear None...but let's not pretend we're Friends'

We have a real sickness in America. In this land of the free and home of the brave where countrymen profess love for Jesus, we frequently wish to deny others of their freedoms while cowardly taking cheap-shots at opponents or humiliating those not of our persuasion or ethnicity. Consequently, we are a very angry people and the prospects for future peaceful tranquility fades in the distance. People  are so entrenched in their ethnocentrism that tolerance for opposing ideas is no longer an option but instead we embrace the unrelenting posture of  'if you're not with me, you are against me.' People are quick to show the attitude of 'no-fault; it's not responsibility.'

Our greed for money and power rivals that of the Roman Empire. We are often blatantly obnoxious in celebratory displays and show a growing need to add to our success the scalp of our victim. We  attempt to reduce physical and emotional pain with pills, alcohol and illegal drugs. Our public  language usage and dress suggest that we, as a society, have redefined moral behavior and dismissed all thoughts of modeling for our youth. Environmentalists worry about the destruction of our natural-environment and resources. We would be wise to cry out for the salvation of our moral environment.

My message this morning is not a new one. For generations writers have penned similar warnings.  Therefore, you ask, "Why the alarm?" My answer: "Beware and know that the pendulum NEVER swings all the way back and erosion becomes a certain by-product."
(Touch)
Games People Play

No comments:

Post a Comment