Sunday, June 18, 2017

Random Recollections of a Father

He was like his mother in many ways. He was tall and lean with a quiet demeanor yet a personality for engagement. To say he was a product of humble beginnings would be a gross understatement. He was the only boy amongst five siblings.

He met his wife to be (my mother) when they were both junior high students. They would marry and with only a eighth grade education the man pursued his American Dream. When first married in 1937, he delivered coal in winter and ice in the summer making $3.00 a day. Through the years he would apply a relentless work ethic in the trades which provided him great experience and knowledge. He would take that knowledge into the sales world where he gained strong financial contacts in the corrosion-protection industry. He would eventually become President and CEO of American Industrial Linings (a subsidiary of McDermott Chemicals) with plants in St. Louis and Dallas.

In his younger days, he could display a quick Roustio temper. (I believe he still holds the Rosemont Avenue throwing distance-record of a crescent wrench.) He was a proud and protective family guy. I witnessed him punching out of two different men who verbally disrespected his mother and mother-in-law. Always the competitor, my father played to win! He wanted to be first whether it was shooting baskets, playing croquet, cards or racing another auto to capture the coveted Drive-In    movie parking spot next to the concession stand.

He  expected his adult children to be 'at his home' on those special occasions and he was  known to create many additional 'special events' for family to gather. My father created a childhood environment that produced this athlete and Democrat. The latter happened as the result of those annual East St. Louis Labor Day parades when I proudly walked alongside my father. Years later our journey came to a fork-in-the-road and most of the Roustio clan took the road to the 'right.'  In the late 1970's I was invited to speak to a Collinsville Chamber of Commerce gathering. They later  approached my Father to ask if I'd be interested in running for a political office with their support. I reminded my dad that I was still leaning 'left.' End of inquiry.

The man served his Lord in many endeavors and was twice audited by the IRS because of Church donations. (I could go-off on a political rant here but I shall stifle my liberal thoughts.)

As a 26- year old father of two, he was drafted into the Army and served in France under General   Patton. He could speak volumes without using his voice...a look or subtle smile often sent succinct messages.

I will forever be grateful to a father who loved me but did not worship me. A father refusing to offer phony  praise for expected behavior, he constantly reminded me that others' had likely done as much and perhaps some had accomplished more. Never rest on your laurels he cautioned but keep pushing.

Finally, recall: When he purchased our first power lawn mower, which did not have a grass catcher, he insisted that you 'double cut.' You must drag the mower back through the first swath cut therefore displacing clippings in one direction. His Way was the right way. Happy Father's Day, 'Fox.'
(Touch)
A Special Kind of Man

No comments:

Post a Comment