Thursday, June 22, 2017

I Ain't Too Sure About All That.

The last two items I read every morning in my newspaper are the celebrity birthdays and my horoscope. I notice a correlation between my own age with the celebraties' age; the older I become the fewer celebs I know. The horoscope is easy for me to handle. If the 'reading' is favorable for me then I buy into it, however if the reading suggests anything unfavorable towards me then I treat it like 'fake news.' (Thanks Donald).

The first fortune teller / palm reader I recall was at an East St. Louis Carnival in the early fifties. Of course, I stayed clear of Palm readers because the local wisdom back in the day was those women were Gypsies out to 'steal' babies. (Note: Sick bigotry has always been a part of Americana.)

As I got a bit older, I came to understand the difference between clairvoyant psychics and mediums. Whereas both might use instruments as tarot cards, Ouija boards and astrological charts, the psychic looks at those tools or a crystal ball and predicts one's future while the medium claims powers that can recall one's past and or 'Hook one up' with dead relatives. I am Not interested.

First regarding the future, I wish to be surprised. Don't tell me the end of the movie or book...let me enjoy the journey. Secondly, contacting the dead strikes me as being rude. My religious belief causes me to believe those loved ones are in 'paradice' They don't need any reminders of the all the crap going on down here!

It never occurred to me to stop at one of those Carnival fortune-telling booths. Besides, I ask you,    'What healthy teenage boy with $5.00 in his pocket is going to spend his last nickel on a psychic when right next to the clairvoyant booth is the Burlesque Show starring 'Betty Blue Eyes Howard?'
(Touch)
The Gypsy

No comments:

Post a Comment