Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Senior Men: Can We Talk?

I never imagined I'd have this conversation with gents of my generation. Actually, I was busy and I knew others were busy working and providing for families. As with my contemporaries, I was oblivious to Father Time altering life as we were living it. I don't know about you other guys but I took my own bodily functions for granted. After all that body was strong, efficient and seemingly industructable and unfaltering. Oops, it happened...slowly but it happened...things changed.

I will not speak for others but I can share changes affecting this writer:

 1.  This once 'night owl' fella is now early to bed and early to rise...like 9:00PM / 5:30AM.
 2.  I eat smaller portions and I've finally developed an appreciation for fish and veggies.
 3.  I take three blood pressure pills, a baby aspirin and another pill to stop acid reflux.
 4.  Reading glasses are a must.
 5.  Facial blemishes can no longer be dismissed as acne.
 6.  I have time to read three newspapers (today) but the news is no better in one than another.
 7.  These senior seasons find me actually talking 'at' people on television...this is not good.
 8.  I do 95% of grocery shopping and actually enjoy the exercise.
 9.  I spend more time with my dog than people...that would be normal for a guy who talks at the TV.
10. Following Cardinals' baseball as a kid made me a fan; following Cardinals' baseball as an adult  has made me uninterested in the game not to mention depressed.
11. I've become cynical of pro sports believing the games are played by over-paid pampered players protected by rules that appease the over-paying and marginally intelligent fans.
12. I still get a daily one-hour walking workout plus additional nighttime bathroom mileage.
13. On that subject: My once predictable 'pee-direction' is somewhat erratic these days and my 'doo -doo' moments are more urgently spontaneous.
14, My hearing was once so good, I could hear a mouse pissing on cotton in the back of the shed. Today with my hearing-aids, I can drive miles and not hear the clicking of my directional signals.
15. Today, I notice neck hair, nose and ear hair grow faster than head-hair.

That said...what a great life!
        (Touch)

Don't Blink

No comments:

Post a Comment