Sunday, June 4, 2017

Loving / Chiding Children

Gerry and I are very blessed with adult married children and their spouses who demonstrate loving-caring respect. I've shared with readers previously that our children and a few of the grandchildren telephone regularly. Our own children frequently include us and in their social/ family gatherings and sometimes they embrace impromptu engagements. The latter was the case this past Friday.

On Friday, our son Steve telephoned to ask, "What are you and mom doing this evening?" "Nothing," was my response. The plan? We meet Steve in Springfield for dinner and he brings granddaughters Shannon, Loren and great granddaughter, Juniper. It seems Steve and Kathy were babysitting Juniper and since Steve's wife, Kathy had a work commitment, Steve was reaching out to the 'old folks.'

Later in the morning, I was waiting for my wife to take her to a meeting and then to the post office after which, I planned to complete my 45-minute walk. Suddenly there was a front door knock that would alter the hours up until the Springfield departure. I opened the front door to see youngest daughter, Pam and their family's Golden Retriever. Pam's comment, "You never know what tomorrow may bring so I thought I'd take my parents out for lunch and spend the day with them." WOW! How lucky, I thought. I'm getting two free meals today...provided I can last the day...Well, Pam DID hint that there IS a tentative factor. Actually, she did not hint. Her comment reminded me of a description my father once used profiling my wife. Dad said, "Gerry, you're as subtle as a punch in the nose." Obviously, the apple fell close to that tree.

Let me proclaim: Gerry and I had a terrific day. We are blessed; We are grateful.

I understand that our daughter, Dawn called her sister, Pam later that day to tell Pam that she called mom and dad's house phone twice and each of their cell phones and did not get an answer. Pam seized the moment!!! Pam told sister Dawn, "Dawn don't worry about mom and dad. I spent the day with them and took them to lunch and Steve is meeting them in Springfield to take them out for dinner...you don't need to worry about our parents."

I can guarantee you that statement 'has legs.' Dawn has not heard the last of the digs. Steve has yet weighed-in.

        (Touch)

Mom Always Liked You Best

No comments:

Post a Comment