Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Interesting Insight

I have shared with readers before that my wife and I have 15- grandchildren and two great grandchildren. This past Sunday the Roustio clan assembled at Shiloh Park (Shiloh, IL.) for the 68-annual Roustio Family Reunion. Shiloh is about a 2-hour drive from Decatur. My wife, Gerry is dealing with a physical issue, which kept her home bound Reunion Day. Believe me, my wife is  incapacitated when she stays away from family gatherings.

Fortunately, second oldest granddaughter, Lindsay O'Keefe-Mitchell was in Decatur with her mother (daughter Dawn) and sisters, Alexa and Ashlyn and decided to keep me company on the drive to and from Shiloh. As you can imagine, I relish such time. Those one-on-one times with the grandchildren allow me a captive audience. I seize those moments to ask the poignant questions and do a little preaching. As most grandfathers, I operate on the illusion that my grandchildren thrive on my words of wisdom. Thankfully, my grandchildren are respectful to the extent they placate me by pretending to listen.

On our drive back home, yesterday, the tables were turned on the old-timer. It was I who gained insight in words spoken by granddaughter, Lindsay. At some moment, I asked Lindsay if she and husband, Reid had plans to begin a family. (How's that, you readers think I'm bold and intrusive?  Well,  I ask, "What's your point?") Anyway, Lindsay explained the family-game plan and added this  observation: "All I read on my Facebook page is friends getting married or having babies."
I thought and then shared with Lindsay, "That's interesting because all I read on my Facebook page is about friends having surgery and obituary postings." I suppose the differences in our two Facebook pages speaks to the various distances traveled in our respective train rides. That said, I am thinking about getting younger friends.
(Touch)
Feel Young

No comments:

Post a Comment