Thursday, June 8, 2017

Music-Music-Music

Most people enjoy some type of music but obviously the taste in music and the artists' style making the sounds finds a wide-range-appreciation spectrum. Considering my seventy-eight years, one could likely do the math-subtraction and be correct surmising that my music interests heightened during this 1950's teenage years. That agreed,  I can tell you that I was exposed to other music before my own teen fascinations. My parents embraced the music coming out of World War II, which offered big bands like Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman and the Dorsey Brothers. They also enjoyed the volcalist who graduated from those Big Bands. Names and voices such as Vaughn Monroe, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, Tony Bennett, Frankie Laine, The Andrew Sisters, Jo Stafford, Ella Fitzgerald just to recall a few that were often heard on the radio at our home. Many if not most post-World War II American households werelistening to radio and particularly music. That era did not have the television options of Dr.Phil, 24/7 cable news are finding out who's your daddy on the Maury Povich Show. That early music exposure caused me to begin building my personal music library many years ago starting with mid-1940's artists.

I can vividly remember my father questioning my developing taste in music as I began transitioning interest from the likes of Doris Day, Patti Paige, Don Cornell, Tony Bennett and the Ames Brothers and picked up on the Rock & Roll crowd, the likes of Chuck Berry, Fats Domino, Bill Haley & The Comets, The Platters, Elvis, Sam Cooke and any group that found the 'echo sound' later referenced as Doo Wop.

Even though our music history intertwines with our social issues and world events there remains once 'constant' through the decades and that would be a songs' 'hook.' The 'hook' is that part of a song, which grabs your ear...a catch-phrase. Next time you are driving down the highway k
Listening to music, pay attention to every songs' 'hook.' Meanwhile listen to what I believe is one of the best 'hooks' in any song...Little Anthony & The Imperials' "Tears on My Pillow." Can you identify the 'hook?' It was first recorded in 1958 and climbed to #4 on the Billboard Charts and it has sustained throughout the years.

        (Touch)
Tears on My Pillow

No comments:

Post a Comment