Tuesday, June 20, 2017

We Were Family

Sunday, June 25, 2017 marks the 68th Annual Roustio Family Reunion. I have witnessed great changes in the clan gathering from a lad of 10-to-the-old-man-of 78. Those early years saw the (Rousteau) Frenchmen assembling at Grand Marias' State Park, East St. Louis. Nearly 100 kinfolks began arriving mid-morning and stayed well into the early summer evening.

The order of the day was the consumption of large amounts of food from a huge potluck luncheon with more than enough leftovers to have supper. Soda and beer flowed freely while loud chatter and the call of Bingo numbers filled the hot air stirred by standing fans. From age 10 to 15,  I couldn't wait to see cousins that I had not seen for a year. The traditional father-son softball game provides some of my greatest memories. Once of driving age, I was eager to bring my girlfriend (Gerry) to our Roustio Reunion. Oh, I was proud of family for her to get to know but I certainly wanted family to know this girl; they would find her special.

Within a few years the reunion site location moved to Shiloh Park Shiloh, Illinois (Near Belleville).
The ensuing years saw the numbers dwindle and dwindle significantly. The family's teenagers found more exciting things to occupy their Reunion Sunday and soon all outside kids' games  gave-way to more sedentary activities in the comforts of an air conditioned rental hall.

From the summer of 1949, until these twilight years the June Sunday following Father's Day is as significant (in my heart) as are birthdays and Holidays...a date to re-unite with extended family...our people. That attitude has changed amongst the younger generation. They find a plethora of reasons  not to attend the reunion. I feel unmotivated to critique or judge those reasons and their choosing to stay away. I'll accept their contemporary logic, "It is what it is!"

I suppose I attended many years out of respect for my Dad and Mom. I'll go again this year with a message. I have been asked to broach the subject of perhaps having the Family Reunion every other year. I'll do it but my heart's not in it. Please! I ask, who we crapping? In life, you gotta wanna! There are many American traditions and values, which have become cumbersome to a younger generation. After all, they do enjoy taking 'selfies.'
(Touch)
We Are Family

No comments:

Post a Comment