Tuesday, March 29, 2016

A Juiced Bird, Indeed !

Once upon a time, as a kid, I loved fried chicken. I recall my pre-teen years having Sunday fried chicken dinner at Mammy Bennett's house. The day before, Grandpa E. V. Bennett picked from the chicken coop three fryers and butchered them in the backyard. E.V. placed the bird's head atop a tree stump and with one whack of his sharpened hatchet preceded the family dog chasing after a flopping-headless bird. I sure loved Mammy's fried chicken.

Nonetheless, I always knew that those chickens were nasty. How nasty? You cannot find a nastier creature that we humans consume as food. The chicken is dirty and will eat anything and everything, even the sores on a dying bird in the coop. In recent years, I noticed store-bought chickens getting bigger than those birds in Mammy's frying pan. One day, I was shocked to note the size of four chicken breasts my wife purchased at Sam's Club. Holy crap, based on the breast size each of those birds would out weigh my neighbor's six year-old German Shepard. My chicken raising internet curiosity reading caused me to lose my apitite for KFC.

Recently, I found some Perdue Chicken that 'looks and taste normal,' therefore I am back to eating Perdue Chicken. While at Kroger's,  I did pick up a frozen full-size chicken just to examine it.  That sucker weighed 22 pounds. I swear, you could've put a baseball uniform on that bird and placed him in the batting order between Barry Bonds and Sammy Sosa...steroids? You THINK?!

No comments:

Post a Comment