Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Saying a Goodbye

It was a Saturday morning early this past December when I slipped into the WLDS/WEAI Radio Station (Jacksonville, IL.) to join in a sports' conversation with long time Jacksonville friends Gary Scott, Buford Green and Ron Tendick. I first met these gentlemen back in 1977, when I began a 21-year tenure as Jacksonville high school's basketball coach and athletic director.

WLDS Radio would be another venue providing me employment opportunities. The late Jerry Symons, general manager of the station and later co-owner would offer me a 30-minute Saturday morning program, which would become known as Mel Roustio's Sport Spotlight. For nineteen years, I'd interview sport personalities, coaches and athletes locally, State wide and Nation wide. That very gig opened doors with the IHSA where I would serve as its basketball analyst for the State Finals. The last four years living in Jacksoville, I would also host a daily four hour morning DJ Show.

Jerry Symons, Ron Tendick, who was the news director and reporter Gary Scott combined their efforts to make sure yours truly would succeed...I am most grateful.

Symons would one day sell the radio station to Scott and Mark Whalen, Tendick would become the long time Mayor of Jacksonville and Buford Green who had been sports' editor for the Jacksonville Journal Courier would continue with free lance writing. I  remember my first radio show. Just before air time Ron Tendick stood on a studio chair and place colored tape on a large wall clock face indicating when I should 'take' commercial breaks. What-a-guy!

A few years ago, Jerry Symons died after a brief illness. This past Easter Sunday, Ron Tendick lost his battle with cancer. I know these losses are devastating for family and loved ones. I, too, feel a terrible void.

These deaths shake the very foundations of the many left behind. These goodbye moments should underscore the importance of embracing time we have and people with whom we can share.
I will attend Ron Tendick's funeral this Thursday morning. I will recall many conversations and moments of laughter. I am blessed to have had my life intertwine with Ron and the others I have mentioned this day.


No comments:

Post a Comment