Friday, March 4, 2016

Some Call it God's Waiting Room

We are back in Decatur, Illinois. We departed Miramar Beach, Florida Wednesday morning at 5:30AM and pulled into the 'soy city' at 7:45PM. That's correct this old fart drove straight through, which suggests that aging and stupidity run on dual rails.

This was our third winter in the  Northwest Panhandle of the 'Sunshine State' or as some call it, God's waiting room. After a three-year experience, I am comfortable with the following summations...

(1). Driving an auto in Florida is dangerously problematic with 70 & 80 year old farts gawking while angry locals darting recklessly from one lane to another trying to get from here to there.
(2). Old people are crazy about their dogs and restaurant coupons.
(3). You'll never see more 'meal-splitting' in Florida restaurants than by the 'snowbird gang.'
(4). Most old timers who winter in the South are staunch Republicans. When seniors are sitting around the swimming pool talking politics, I must remind them periodically that I am a Democrat and that President they are lambasting is 'my President,' and I voted for him twice. I swear to you, the first time I said that a nearby lady was absolutely flabbergasted as she asked, "Are you really a DEMOCRAT?" This year she did not speak to me. My wife used to ask me not make such statements in public but over time, I've convinced her that it's OKAY to talk about politics and religion...that old saying "don't talk about politics and religion" is a myth. Besides, I like to shape the tone and topic-subject of future social encounters or not!
(5). Most sales clerks working in the resort towns at overpriced retail stores cannot afford to actually live in those communities. They commute from great distances.
(6). The 'gouging season' officially begins March 15, which coincides with the Nation's college spring breakers. Property that one can rent monthly @ $1,500.00 for a month's costs $3,500.00 for a week.

The great thing about Florida, aside from reading 'Letters to the Editor' in local newspapers is the availability of fresh seafood harvested right from the Gulf waters off Florida's coast. Today, while shopping a the Decatur's Sam's Club, I checked out the 'seafood' selection...how do you spell Honduras, Thailand, China, India, Ecuador and Vietnam. I'd talk to you about Southeast Asia 'plumbing' situation but until my wife approves it as an acceptable 'around-the-swimming-pool' topic, I'd best stifle myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment