Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Mammy's Way

My wife, Gerry attends a weekly Bible Study at Grace United Methodist Church (Decatur, Illinois). While in Miramar Beach, Florida for January and February, we both attended a weekly Bible Study at Grace Lutheran Church (Destin, Florida). While in Florida, my wife also hooked up with one of her Bible- buddy classmates from Decatur who was wintering in nearby Destin. They met weekly to complete the  lessons emailed from Decatur. My son, Steve said that his mother attends twice the Bible studies than his dad thus concludes mom's twice the Christian and will likely have a front and back door to her heavenly home whereas, I will probably be climbing through windows.

I'm not big on those Bible Classes. I do read the Bible but I don't 'study scriptures.' That's a confession folks, not a brag. As a young boy, my maternal grandmother, Mammy Bennett was always quoting scriptures to me. One of the earliest Bible verses she preached was Ephesians 6:2. She told me it was the first commandment given with a promise from God..."Honor thy father and mother that you may live long upon the earth." I sure did that and I suppose reaching seventy-seven covers His promise. However, I found an even greater gift following that scripture. I had no regrets when I said my final goodbyes to my parents.

Mammy also preached other scriptures that I embraced along my journey.
Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it." My wife and I were 'in Church' with our kids and today our grown children 'go to Church.'

Philippians 2:14 "Do all things without grumbling or questioning." I did not give much of an audience to our kids asking "Why?" Or asking, "Don't you trust me?"

Proverbs 13:24 "Whoever spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is diligent to discipline him." When they were young, I used my hand on few butts that needed discipline. Doing it early reduced the frequency needed.

I hear folks say it is more difficult raising kids today than yesteryear. Sorry, I don't buy that. Kids today would be a hellava lot better if mommie and daddy agreed to "Let your yes be yes and your no be no." Matthew 5:37."


No comments:

Post a Comment