Friday, March 11, 2016

Telling the Truth

Let's be honest. (Don't you just love that phrase?) We hear folks say that often, 'Let's be honest.' It suggests to me that up until THAT stated declaration the conversation between two people has been laced with bull-butter dishonesty.

These sudden proclamations are nothing new. I recall when my children were very young, they would often say, "Let's pretend..." I understood at that moment their 'play' was about to take off into an imaginary venture. Remembering my own youth, my generation of friends would say, "Let's play like..." We had not benefited from early childhood educational programs, therefore the word 'pretend' was not part of our vocabulary...besides we were unsophisticated and poor.

Terminology is not the only difference between the imaginary games of my generation and my grandchildrens' generation. Whereas my friends chased one another as 'Cowboys & Indians,' we also 'acted' like our favorite sports hero running & playing our sandlot games. We'd sweat a lot and most of us were skinny. Kids today sit on chubbier-butts, manipulate 'controls' while their pretend games play out on a monitor-screen...with nearby munchies added to their comfort.

Me and my friends were healthier and happier...'Let's be honest.'

No comments:

Post a Comment