Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Humility Leads to Dignity

Flamboyant boastfulness 'sells.' I recall as a youngster hearing the carnival barker loudly proclaiming the performers' skills and fetes. A passerby would pause to consider the ticket buy to watch the fat guy swallow six swords at once or the magician cut the lady in half.
Sports enthusiasts love to embrace the Babe Ruth 'point and call the shot' story. They likewise enjoy the braggadocio of a Mahammed Ali and the chair throwing antics of former Indiana basketball coach, Bob Knight.
Perhaps it's this over-the-top deviation from the behavioral norm that appeals to the Donald Trump followers. Then again just maybe humility is no longer vogue. Just maybe it is not enough to be victorious over our opponent but we MUST taunt and humiliate the defeated.

I recall growing in my father's home. I vividly remember two subliminal messages: (1) Dad loves mom more than he loves the kids and (2) don't show your ass or allow your mouth to overload it.
I was sixteen years old with a driver's license, girlfriend and a 'star' athlete reputation. I sassed mother at the dinner table making her cry. My father delivered a stinging backhand to my smart mouth. On that sport 'star' point, my father was always pointing out where I could do more for the team...he constantly told me that there were others before me and more would come after me.

Make no mistake, a successful person must have grit and confidence, however I always found it easier and more enjoyable admiring and rooting for the humble and appreciative...John Wooden, Stan Musial, Joe Louis, Jimmy Carter and a fella named Jesus Christ.


No comments:

Post a Comment