Monday, August 3, 2015

Brain Freeze Can Cause Pain

This past Thursday was both a busy and painful day for yours truly. Look, at age 76, I am delighted and thankful to be busy. At my age, I expect some pain. With three back surgeries and a lifetime of sport participation in my rear view mirror, I understand why the arthritis in my back, knees and hips. However, I was befuddled with NEW pain areas.

While cutting the grass, I felt as though my knees were going to give way and buckle inward. My ankles hurt with each foot plant. Later, during my Fitness Center workout, my hips were barking at me At each workout station. While taking a shower, my feet felt unusually tender & sore. I dismissed the new pains thinking they were going to join the journey.

Friday morning, I noted this new pain began immediately when slipping on my shoes. Upon closer examination, I discovered that my $500.00 personally molded hard-plastic orthotics were in the wrong shoe. You got it. The left orthotic was in the right shoe and the right orthotic was in the left shoe. This had been my self-inflicted pain all day Thursday.

Therefore, my four color wrist bands serve as 'old fart' reminders: Blue means check my fly every hour. Green means take handkerchief and make two passes across nose and mouth area to clean away debris. Red means make sure shoes and orthotics match feet. Finally, the Orange band reminds me never to pass by a restroom and not use it.




No comments:

Post a Comment