Monday, August 24, 2015

Paying it Forward

I glanced at the coloring book in front of my granddaughter and noticed the book was open to one of those 'connect-the-dot' puzzles. Suddenly, it occurred to me that our journeys' consist of many 'connect-the-dot' relationship-experiences.

Today at age seventy-six, I am identified in many ways. My beliefs and interests are in place because many people served as 'connectors' for me...they began connecting my dots early in my youth. I am a St. Louis Cardinals' baseball fan because my father 'connected' the interest. I am a Christian, in particularly a Methodist, because my maternal grandmother, Mammy Bennett was 'the' driving connecting force. I am a Democrat because of my family's East St. Louis blue collar Union struggles. I observed those struggles in the 1940's.

I became a teacher and coach because my father nurtured a connect-the-love of sport-play. Coaches and mentors took time and interest to assist in my skill development...these men were 'connectors.'
Actually, in retrospect, even those individuals who were my adversaries served me well as 'connectors.' Some youth companions would reject thus stir my passion connecting me to the taste of competition. In my early coaching days some contemporaries and certainly some malcontent parents motivated me beyond one's imagination; consequently, these people with negative energies catapulted me to achieve. I thank them in prayer.

And so...I must ask, of myself, the questions: Have I served as a 'good/positive connector' for others ?Should I not be still be looking daily for those opportunities to be a 'connector' for those seeking a direction ?

No comments:

Post a Comment