Tuesday, August 18, 2015

You Decide

I recall, as a young boy, hearing my father tell my mother that he wanted his three boys to have a better life than did he. I knew enough about my dad's youth that his was surely not an easy life. I have often thought about that comment and imagine that through the generations every father has likely expressed this sentiment...a better life for your kids than the life you had growing up. One cannot fault such a noble mission.

Personally, I don't just jump on that bandwagon 'willy-nilly.' Let me explain why: I don't know the criteria constituting better living from one generation to the next. Example: As a kid, I did not go on vacations...my grandkids do a lot of trips and vacations. Is that better? For 12 school years, I came home to a mother waiting in the home...many of today's children are dependent on day care, babysitters and after school programs. Who's better off?

Today's youth have a plethora of program opportunities and they are in organized sport at an earlier age. I was not. I did play little league baseball but I actually played much more sandlot baseball and softball. Therefore, whereas, my generation learned game management and compromise skills on the sandlot, I see today's youth waiting for adults to make 'all' decisions for them. Does that compute to a better life for my grandkids? I am not sure.

I did note that my grandchildren are over scheduled somewhat. This seems to reduce family time...family time was a big thing in my youth. Is that an improvement.  Perhaps things are better for youth today over those of yesterday when taking into consideration the greater availability of youth prescription drugs to combat many quickly diagnosed children disorders. There are also a greater number of child psychologist and parenting self-help books today. My parents seemed to be fixed on their own bull-headed notions. Maybe parents through the years have 'made a better life for their kids than that which they had.'  You make the call.


No comments:

Post a Comment