Monday, August 31, 2015

Prayer Perspectives

I have no idea what prompted my eleven year-old granddaughter, Alexa to text a series of baseball questions to me last week. Perhaps, she was doing a school project or maybe she is nurturing some entry level baseball infatuation or then again, simply playing with a new cell phone. Regardless of her motivation, I enjoyed sharing my answers, which came from observations and experiences that span some sixty-seven baseball seasons.

Here are some of her inquiries: Did you see Jackie Robinson play? Who are the top five hitters you ever saw play? Who are the five best pitchers you recall? What were your two most favorite games you saw in person? Each recall brought back a flood of memories. In 1954, I sat next to my dad at old Sportsman Park when Stan Musial hit five home runs in a doubleheader against the New York Giants. Ten years later, my Dad could garner three game #7 World Series tickets at Sportsman Park when the Cardinals behind the pitching of Bob Gibson beat the Yankees. I attended that game with my two brothers, Tom and Marty. A gift from a sacrificing Dad.

I attended many games with my Dad from 1948-to-until his death in the spring of 1994. I have never shared the following story until now: Every Cardinals' game that I attended with my Dad, found me whispering the same prayer during the seventh inning stretch. "Dear God: Thank you for this moment and thank you my Dad...I wish it could last forever."

During the 1982 World Series between the Cardinals and Milwaukee Brewers, my Dad was hospitalized at Barnes-Jewish Hospital with one of many heart failure episodes. I drove from Jacksonville, Illinois to his bedside with two 'painted hard hats' and heart friendly snacks. We watched our Birds capture the Championship.

Time, distance and age keeps me from attending but a couple of games each year. Nevertheless, I still close my eyes during the 7th inning stretch and thank God...these days I thank Him for the moment but also the previous memories.

I coached well over 900 basketball games. During the playing of the National Anthem, I always whispered a prayer: Dear God: Thank you for this night and the opportunity to coach this game. Bless and keep safe each player. Bless the young people who for some reason are unable to play these games." I never asked for winning...I figured that was 'my' responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment