Thursday, August 13, 2015

If Somebody Can Turn a Dollar...?

I buy into the idea that sport games should not be decided by blown officiating calls...let's get it right! Therefore, I like the Major League Baseball's instant replay systems. However, I anticipate something ugly on the horizon.

Let's just look at baseball's instant replay system. There are twelve (12) cameras stationed in every host major league stadium. There are several technicians handling equipment for umpiring crews at those stadiums. At the 900 square foot MLB instant replay center back in Manhattan there are eight umpires checking out thirty (30) giant television screens complimented by tons of support personnel.

Okay, here's my legitimate concern. The current time taken to review a replay is about 2 1/2 minutes.
Now, y'all know damn good and well the American way is cut cost and make more money for 'the man.' That said, I anticipate the entire replay process to be 'outsourced' to India. Need I elaborate? A few years ago, I called AT&T with a computer problem and my Banker with a routing number problem. In each situation, I was hooked up with some clown in another country. The guy in India got pissed off at ME because he said he couldn't understand what I was saying.

It's bad enough someone in another country is talking to me about my banking numbers but baseball is our great American game. Are we going to be dependent on some Cricket player in India to make the call?

No comments:

Post a Comment