Monday, August 10, 2015

'School Days, School Days--Different Kinda School Days'

With the 2015-16 school year ready to begin, I could not help but recall a grandparent elementary school visitation day I experienced a few years ago. I did not notice any individual desks, instead children were sitting in groups at tables. Well most were at tables, some were sprawled out on floor mats eating 'Ding-Dong' cakes.

I did not notice any Palmer Method writing materials or multiplication charts. I suspect text messaging and calculators have replaced such archaic ways of doing things. As I entered the gymnasium, I noticed a broken 'slide-rule' being used as a door stop. I watched a physical education class...and the kids did not do any exercises or running. Most of the P.E. students stood in small groups talking while a smaller group of kids played a modified kick ball game. The majority of the students who were standing and chatting appeared somewhat overweight...I suppose it is due to the 'Ding -Dongs.'

I had to hold my jacket during my visitation...can you believe a school with NO CLOAK ROOM?

The school looked nothing like Woodrow Wilson Grade School in 1949, East St. Louis, Illinois.


No comments:

Post a Comment