Thursday, August 6, 2015

Cod Liver Oil & Goodbyes, Yuk !

I hate cod liver oil and goodbyes. As an adult, I can now refuse cod liver oil however, I cannot avoid those goodbyes.

What a wonderful feeling as parents when we tucked our kids into their beds at night. Then came those years when child's boundaries expanded and then that off to college goodbye...life would never be quite the same. Soon after the college goodbyes came the weddings and yet another goodbye. Of course, each of these aforementioned goodbyes had large degrees of happiness centered around new beginnings with great hopes. Nevertheless, they were mom and dad's goodbyes.

The years roll by and suddenly you become aware of approaching goodbyes of grandparents and eventually your mother and father. I recall sitting in a darkened nursing home room holding my dying Mammy's hand while my wife caressed her other hand as we sang my 89-year old grandmother's  favorite gospel hymns. She may or may not have heard those songs as she laid in a comma slowly giving way to her Lord's plan. I suppose we sang to ease our goodbye pain.

Many years later my wife and I would spend the night death vigil with my father at Barnes Hospital. We laid across his bed and spoke to him constantly assuring him of our nearness and his right to leave and collect God's promise. Nearly twenty- years later, I sat at my mother's bedside as she peacefully passed. I shall always call upon the flood of memories that night looking into that ninety-three year old woman's beautiful face. As they say, 'priceless.'

Of course, I would cry my tears on each occasion but there would be absolutely no 'woulda-coulda-shoulda' moments. I got the best one could get in each relationship...but I still hate the goodbyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment