Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Choose Caring While You May

I would believe that no one equates animal life to human life. There are horrible stories of human death and suffering that cause greater concern. In light of the growing debate regarding big game hunters killing animals for the thrill and head-decorations, let me tell you a story of 'killing.'

My father served two years under General Patton during WWII. Early in his combat experience, he tried to convince a buddy to be patient while they waited to advance during a German night fight. The friend was rambunctious and moved out of the fox hole before the command. Machine-gun fire flashed through the darkness of night. In the morning, my father saw his friend's lifeless body along a dirt roadway. My father once told me that he shot his rifle at German soldiers hoping that he could soon get home to his wife and kids. Yet, he knew that his bullets likely stopped another dad from going home. He said, "You are conflicted with haunting thoughts."

Many years later, my father's life was good...representative of the 'American Dream.' His three sons married and a comfortable life for he and mother. My wife, Gerry and I had a miniature poodle, named GiGi who had a litter of pups. My mother and dad agreed to take one pup and named the little girl 'Buffy.'
Buffy immediately attached favor to dad. A brief time later, my father at age 54, had a major heart attack and spent thirty days in Barnes-Jewish Hospital recovering. Upon returning home, he had long weeks of slow rehab. At his side and at the foot of his bed during periodic afternoon naps was dad's, 'Buffy.'
Years passed and periodic heart set backs slowed my father and took its toll on the aging puppy. Finally, that dreaded day arrived when 'Buffy's' crippled pain and blindness could no longer be rationalized...the dog must be 'put down.' The local vet, knowing that my dad's physical state would not permit bringing the dog to the office made a house call and picked up dad's beloved puppy.
My mother told me that she never saw my father cry so hard as he handed his 'Buffy'  (his little
pup of 16 years) to the vet and turned to shut the door.

This was a man who knew much about the value of life, about killing and about loving.

I ask you to look around. It is all a gift from our Creator. Behold it, embrace it, enjoy it and care for it. Soon enough it is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment